While the Edgars Thank U Rewards Programme remains intact, the Edgars Store Accounts have now moved to the RCS system.
Edgars has undergone many different changes in the last few years and it can often be difficult for consumers to keep up. The most important thing that you need to understand is that Edgars Store Accounts (and their cards) have now been taken over by RCS.
Edgars’s recent stumbles
There were many businesses all across the globe that struggled to keep their heads above water when the COVID-19 pandemic hit in 2020. Unfortunately, the African retail giant, Edcon Limited, which is most well-known for its affiliation with the Edgars department stores, was one such a business.
Edcon announced in 2020 that it had filed for business rescue after rumours started circulating that the brand was no longer paying rent for its retail spaces. Shortly thereafter, the relatively unknown Retailability took over most of Edcon’s brands.
Everything you need to know about the Edgars cards
Since this initial filing, the Edgars brand has had to balance getting its finances back on track and rebuilding consumer trust in the brand. One of the ways that Edgars approached this issue was by selling the majority of the Edgars (and Edcon, for that matter) store card books to the RCS Group in 2020.
What this means for the consumer is that most of the 2.3 million accounts that used to fall under Edcon have now slowly been moved over to the RCS system. Although this does not change much on the consumer end of things, it does mean that the already-confusing Edgars card system has become even more complicated.
Essentially, there are two main cards that Edgars clients may recognize, the ‘Thank U’, and the Edgars Account cards. But it is important to understand the key differences between these two cards, which are as follows:
- The Edgars Account card is now referred to as the RCS Accounts card. This is a black RCS card with a PIN, which allows you to buy on credit (among other benefits).
- The Edgars Thank U card is linked to the Edgars Thank U Rewards Program, and it allows you to earn points for your purchases. After some changes were made in 2021, you now no longer have to present an actual Thank U card to earn or redeem these points.
- “The Club” is Edgars’s value-added service, which does not have its own card.
The RCS Accounts card is really the main card that you need to worry about, as this is the card linked to your Edgars Store Account.
Where you can shop with your Edgars card
Even if you have been up to date on all the changes from the old Edgars accounts to the new RCS accounts, this change does benefit you significantly, as RCS has a much wider variety of retail partners than the Edcon group had.
Some of the answers to the most common “Where can I shop with my Edgars card?”- questions are answered below:
|Store||Is the Edgars RCS card accepted?|
|Can I use Edgars card at Legit?||Yes|
|Does Specsavers accept Edgars cards?||Yes|
|Can I buy at Jet and Jet Mart with my Edgars card?||Yes|
|Can I use my Edgars card at Engen and Shell?||Yes|
|Can I use my Edgars card at Foschini?||Yes|
|Can I use my Edgars card at Sportscene?||Yes|
|Can I use my Edgars card at Checkers, Checkers Hyper and Checkers Liquor?||Yes|
1. How does the new Edgars card work?
RCS has taken over the Edgars credit account business completely, and this is why your Edgars account has now become an RCS account. This RCS account gives you access to many benefits, including:
- Up to 55 days of interest-free credit when you settle your outstanding balance in full
- Revolving 24- or 36-months payment plans for purchases over R600
- Exclusive offers and promotions
- Free SMS notifications for purchases
- Free monthly statements (via SMS or email)
- Optional Customer Protection Insurance
2. Can I use my RCS card at Edgars?
Since the RCS cards now function as a replacement for the old Edgars account cards, you will be able to use RCS cards at any Edgars store (with 6-months of interest free purchases). You will also be able to use this card to shop online. If you have not yet switched to the new RCS cards, you will still be able to use your old Edgars account card at Edgars stores, Legit and Beaver Canoe stores.
3. How to get a new Edgars card
In order to qualify for an Edgars Store Account, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a valid SA ID or Driver’s License
- You must be employed and provide proof of income documentation
- Your income must be R2000 or more per month
If you meet these requirements, or you simply want to make the switch from the old Edgars account card to the new black RCS card, you need to visit your nearest Edgars store in person.
4. How to stop your Edgars card
If you want to stop your Edgars card and close your account, you need to send a closure account to RCS at the email@example.com email address or visit the Customer Services kiosk at any Edgars store. It is, however, important to take note of the following before you do this:
- You need to cancel any value added service (such as your Edgars Club membership) before you can close your account
- You need to request and settle any outstanding balances on your account, before you can close it
5. What to do if you have lost your Edgars card
If you have lost your Edgars card or you are experiencing any other issues related to your Edgars Store Account, your best bet is to contact RCS immediately at 0861 729 727. Be sure to have your card number and your ID number on hand, as RCS will likely require this information to help you on their end. In most cases, RCS will block your old card, and you will have to visit an RCS-affiliated store to pick up a new one.